LOCATION: Aurora, IN
DEPARTMENT : Engineering
JOB TITLE : Engineering Manager
REPORTS TO : President – COO
TYPE OF POSITION : Full-Time Salary Exempt
Founded in 1944, Batesville Products is a privately held, full-service, aluminum casting company and supplier of customer metal castings. We pride ourselves on our quality work, customer satisfaction, innovative engineering, and our dedication to our craft. Our strength comes from our ability to work closely with our customers; from initial concept through full production castings. Whether it’s advanced medical equipment with ability to saves lives, industrial lighting brightening our streets and works spaces, or coffee machines to fuel our energy, the Batesville Products’ Team has a tremendous role in making these things possible. With our industry diversification, our engineers play a key role in bringing custom aluminum castings and projects to market; having the knowledge to drive stunning castings and successful projects for our customers.
The Engineering Manager will support BPI’s goals and objectives by providing leadership, direction and hands on involvement while managing engineering personnel and projects. Responsible for project management, capital project justification and implementation, production support, process improvement, new product and tooling quotes, design, build and production readiness, environmental compliance, training and mentoring. This position directs and coordinates the work of all engineering and maintenance resources. It will oversee management of all areas of Engineering and direct activities so that approved projects are on schedule, and within quality standards and cost objectives set by the company. The Engineering Manager is expected to be a respectable corporate liaison to the local community.
- Working knowledge and competency on general foundry, molding and machine tool processes and terminology
- Manages all resources related to engineering manpower, assets and capabilities.
- Assesses plant performance to meet or exceed operating plans and goals.
- Working with Senior Management and corporate peers, participate in and develop strategic plans for facility, operating budgets and resulting yearly goals.
- Leader who utilizes lean principles and continuous improvement methods to improve productivity, quality, safety, cost and lead times.
- Plan, oversee and monitor the adherence to project schedules verifying completeness, addressing problems with attainment of goals and/or to facilitate solutions when/where possible to insure attainment of goals and objectives on a day-to-day basis.
- Optimize new product quote and design to improve on time delivery, production efficiency and reduce costs.
- Work closely with production supervision to troubleshoot and prevent issues with products and process.
- Collect and analyze productivity and quality data to identify trends and improvement opportunities.
- Coordinates with purchasing to order and monitor the status of materials
- Coordinating with Cost Accounting for costing standards
- Communicate and coordinate with Operations Management to, maintain and improve process performance.
- Establish standards and develop systems to monitor and maintain quality standards.
- Communicate and coordinate with Corporate Safety and Operations Management to develop safety standards which meet or exceed industry standards.
- Coordinating with Corporate Council develop environmental programs which meet or exceed industry standards.
- Participate in the selection, training and development of Engineering personnel to include the evaluation of individual effort(s) in the attainment of goals.
- Work with subordinates and/or related personnel in the development, identification and accomplishment of their assigned goals and objectives.
- Participate in and foster sound/good labor management relations throughout the plant locations.
- Administer and monitor the effectiveness and adherence to company policies and programs in place for all department employees (Hourly, Non-Exempt and Exempt).
- Administer company work rules, and disciplinary action, and appraise employee performance and recommend any change of status and/or wage adjustment.
- Communicate and coordinate with Operations Management to, plan, direct and monitor the maintenance programs in effect for all facilities, machines and equipment used in the operation of the plant.
- Operational Analytics
- As required, attend and support trade shows and customer site visits
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is both encouraged and expected
- Candidate must by very organized and effective with time management, especially with key timeline events
- Membership in business affiliated organizations.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: MS Office applications, advanced EXCEL, ERP skills, statistical skills, managerial skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Proven understanding and experience in a manufacturing environment. At least 15 years of progressive job responsibilities working in a manufacturing setting. At least 5 years in a managerial role, specifically relevant to engineering management. Strong problem solving skills, in both an individual and collaborative environment. Working knowledge in SPC, 5S, SMED and Lean Manufacturing. Knowledge of PC’s, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, CAD, Solid Modeling, FEA. Working knowledge of cost accounting and financial aspects of manufacturing. Some understanding of HR rules and regulations. Ability to create employee training and willing to act as trainer/mentor. Proven ability to prioritize and effective time management. Strong understanding of machinery, equipment and process flow. Proven commitment to quality, safety and environmental compliance.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE: Bachelor degree required in engineering or comparable field. 15 years’ experience required in a job shop-oriented manufacturing setting. Foundry experience a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Walking, Standing, sitting, listening and talking on a wide variety and continual basis. Movement generally throughout the manufacturing areas required. Ability to travel to both locations on a regular basis.