DEPARTMENT : Engineering
JOB TITLE : Design/Tooling Engineer
REPORTS TO : Engineering
TYPE OF POSITION : Full-Time
The design/Tooling engineer directs, coordinates and exercises functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration and completion of customer engineer projects within the area of assigned responsibility.
- Working knowledge and competency on general foundry, metallurgical, molding and machine tool processes and terminology
- Develop tooling for processing of castings to meet customers’ requirements
- Effectively plan and manage projects to meet timeline, cost, productivity, quality and safety goals
- After designing and developing tooling for a customer’s product, present this to operation personnel, work with outside vendors to build tooling, and support the tooling thru the products life
- Create and manage process control documentation to support all stages of the manufacturing process
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards and customer contract requirements, and related specifications
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications and drawing releases
- Analyze and design lean manufacturing cells using effective systems and tools to optimize use of space, equipment, material and personnel
- Participate in continuous improvement events
- Assist in developing plant layout in planning rearrangement of facilities, equipment and operations for better utilization of space
- Work closely with production supervision, research and development, quality assurance and maintenance personnel to troubleshoot and prevent issues with products, process, equipment and tooling/fixtures
- As required, provide oversight management and direction for maintenance personnel
- Work with operations management to optimize production planning and execution
- Supports all current and new product introductions
- Able to assist in reducing cost through re-engineering, process, equipment, and product/material
- Support customer visits and telephone conversations
- As required, attend and support trade shows and customer site visits
- Contribute to the streamlining of the production process
- A wide degree of creativity and latitude is both encouraged and expected
- Candidate must by very organized and effective with time management, especially with key timeline events
- Collaborative skills are necessary in order to develop positive working relationships with key stake holders
- Research new manufacturing technology
- Performs other related duties as required to accomplish the objectives of this position
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: MS Office applications, ERP, Office 365, Solid Works, technical capacity, organizational skills, decision making, initiative, project management, problem solving/analysis, and excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering required with 5+ years in a manufacturing field.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Walking, Standing, sitting, listening and talking on a wide variety and continual basis. Movement generally throughout the manufacturing areas required. Ability to travel to both locations on a regular basis.