We're looking for a social, confident, friendly, on-their-feet leader who isn't afraid to speak up.
Batesville Products is a small, family-run company. All the perks of a big-city corporation - without the dreadful commute! With less time on the road, our team enjoys more time with family & being outdoors camping, hiking, fishing, gardening, and doing DIY house projects.
- JOB TITLE: Product Quality Lead
- SALARY: $27 - 30 per hour
- DEPARTMENT: Engineering
- REPORTS TO: Engineering Manager
- TYPE OF POSITION: Full-Time
- LOCATION: Aurora & Lawrenceburg, IN
A self-starter that monitors and drives improved casting quality while ensuring that no defective product escapes the foundry for additional standard processing. The Product Quality Lead has authority to stop the flow of products that may be non-conforming to permit engineering and/or sales to ensure that the voice-of-the-customer is conveyed into decisions regarding product quality. Uses MRP system to track non-conforming product and documenting dispositions and corrective action. This person will contribute to the effort to ship as much compliant product as possible while managing the associated costs. The role is part-of-the-solution to improve part quality and reduce costs. Involvement in ISO certification related activity including record keeping, procedure development and procedure compliance is a vital component of this role.
Leads the safety culture by example and safety conversations to help others in the workplace maintain safe work practices.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment.
- Use proper PPE at all times and coach others whenever possible.
- Conduct evaluation of all sample and pilot castings to verify conformance to established industry and specific contract quality standards.
- Inspect production castings in the foundry for required geometric features and surface quality according to customer requirements at identified AQL frequency rates assigned to specific products.
- Gather requirements and perform visual inspections.
- Perform dimensional inspections and use inspection fixtures when available.
- Inspect foundry tooling to verify condition is suitable for casting with coaching for this aspect of the position provided by an experienced foundry person as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with the Sales, Engineering and QA departments assisting in building and maintaining process documentation and ensuring that products produced conform to customers specifications.
- May be asked to perform measurement studies and to collect and/or compile data.
Contributing to Workflow
- Work with production management using Lean/Sigma tools.
- Collect and compile statistical quality data.
- Analyze data to identify areas for quality improvement.
- Develop, recommend, and monitor corrective and preventive actions.
- Prepare reports to communicate outcomes of quality activities.
- Present recurring issues at shift meetings to provide the evidence of the issue, why it is objectionable and what changes need to be made at the operational level to prevent the issue.
- Investigate customer complaints and non-conformance issues including RMA’s.
- Responsible for managing all activity and timely responses to CAR’s.
- Inspect hot product directly at casting machine.
- Straightening of products may be required.
- Forklift operation capability is a plus.
- Sorting castings may be required to ensure that product meets all requirements before leaving the foundry.
- Expedite and contribute to swift processing of nonconformance with disposition and corrective action.
- Maintain an ISO compliant hold area for non-conforming product.
- Assure ongoing compliance with quality and industry regulatory requirements.
- Facilitates compliance activities by preparing for and representing the company during audits.
- Evaluate and document foundry related audit findings.
- Help implement and verify appropriate corrective actions to audit findings.
- Responsible for calibration reporting and control consistent with ISO standards for equipment at the foundry.
- Responsible for compliance to QC documented systems.
- Review the implementation and efficiency of quality and inspection systems.
- Monitor risk management activities.
- Prepare weekly/monthly reports to communicate outcomes of quality activities.
- Prepares all necessary quality reports as required by customers and staff personnel.
- Communicate issues of concern to leadership.
- Documenting all processes to comply with company only, customer and/or standards regulations as appropriate.
- Safety focused
- Attentive to detail and visual discernment
- Communication skills - verbal and written
- Data collection, management and analysis
- Problem analysis and problem solving
- Planning and organizing
- Swift and sound decision-making
- Customer service orientation
- MS Office applications
- ERP System interfacing
Education and Work Experience
- 3-years or more in inspection or quality department role
- Quality inspection, metrology, auditing, and testing experience
- Experience with implementation of corrective action activities
- Certifications an advantage including Certified Manager of Quality/Organizational Excellence (CMQ/OE), Certified Quality Auditor (CQA), Certified Quality Engineer (CQE), Certified Reliability Engineer (CRE), Certified Six Sigma Black Belt (CSSBB)
- Product or industry-specific experience
- Knowledge of ISO 9001 system
Walking, standing, lifting, sitting, listening and talking on a wide variety and continual basis. Movement generally throughout the manufacturing areas required. Ability to travel to both locations on a regular basis and to various customer sites as required.